This week, YouTube celebrated its 5th birthday, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to pay homage to a site which has revolutionised the way people share videos and broadcast themselves online.
Here are some interesting facts and figures about YouTube you might not know:
- YouTube gets over 2 billion views a day – YouTube Press Statistics
- A whole 24 hours’ worth of video is uploaded to the site every minute – YouTube Press Statistics
- It is said that YouTube began life as a video dating site dubbed “Tune In Hook Up” – YouTube Press Statistics
- The first video on YouTube is of one of the co-founders talking about elephant’s trunks titled “Me at the Zoo” – YouTube Press Statistics
- Google bought the site for $1.65 billion in November 2006 – YouTube Press Statistics
- The longest Video ever on YouTube is 48 hours – - YouTube Press Statistics
It’s hard to believe when you look at those statistics that the site has only been in existence for a mere 5 years, as YouTube has completely changed the way people can access video online.
Not only this, but YouTube has made it possible for ordinary people to reach a worldwide audience they would normally not have been able to connect with – which makes it a very powerful marketing tool in the right hands.
Furthermore, YouTube has actually helped propel aspiring musicians to fame over the last few years. Teen pop sensation Justin Bieber was discovered through his YouTube channel, and even the almighty Lady Gaga first tried to launch herself via YouTube before she was able to secure her first record deal.
Through YouTube you can literally promote yourself and your company to the world, without having to spend a fortune on expensive advertising campaigns.
So, I’d like to wish YouTube a happy 5th birthday and I look forward to seeing where the next 5 years the site will take us.
(Image by www_ukberri_net)